The quick story:
- I am constantly exploring the intersection point of business, innovation and design to contribute to progress (social or economic) in different market ventures.
- I am a global citizen. Malaysian-Chinese made and cultivated (Miri, Borneo!). Omani improved. Exported to Canada. Distributed in the United States (Current: NYC) and Kenya.
- I am a connector and strategist. I thrive on discovering and piecing together unexpected findings/moments/research/people.
- Other things that excite me include: dogs, a good book, music and hiking
Stuff I’ve done and am interested in:
- I most recently worked at the International Finance Corporation, the private sector development arm of the World Bank, in emerging markets investing across Sub-Saharan Africa with a portfolio focus of healthcare and education. I mapped out 14 markets in 7 countries, resulting over US$60m in potential investments to improve health in the region.
- I structured and financed deals in healthcare and nutrition for Acumen Fund in Nairobi. I primarily worked on a hospital deal in Uganda, micro-nutrient packaging deal in Kenya and developed the organization’s EA healthcare investing strategy.
- I collaborated on a project with Acumen Fund to empower the next generation of leaders in patient capital through developing their +acumen venture network, curriculum and chapters.
- I recently co-founded and am currently an advisor at The Design Gym, where we are building a community of solvers through a series of design-thinking workshops.
- I worked in asset management in Vancouver, focusing on emerging markets, risk and compliance. One of my projects included the global integration of our $40 billion emerging market resources into the Canadian institutional investment space.
- I worked with the Mohama Temeng women’s group in the mountains of Lesotho to create a sustainable agricultural-poultry system to support HIV orphans.
- In Soweto, Johannesburg, I was part of a team who consulted Ikageng Itereleng, an orphanage, on their organizational structure for better financial accountability and sustainability.
- With Young Women in Business, I helped young women discover their passion and organized events to enable them to reach their full potential. One of my favorite events that I co-created was our Intergenerational Salon, where we brought together 40 remarkable women: 20 older, 20 younger, for an evening of story-telling and authentic conversations.
- I write for two online leading publications: SocialEarth.org and SocialFinance.ca on causes I believe in, impact investing and social change.
- I am an International Leader of Tomorrow Awardee and believe that through compassion, innovation and education, we can be the change in the world.
- I am exploring the potential of collaboration, story-telling and design to create social change.
Disclaimer: This is a personal website. The opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of my employers past, present or any other organization with which I am affiliated. Additionally, as we all learn and grow more each day, my views are subject to change.